“3 of our family members are still missing”, Sheikh Kirevu’s Family claims

courtesy photo

NEWS-The family of the late Sheikh Abas Muhammad Kirevu has called on security agencies to release or produce three of their family members who are still missing.

Sheikh Muhammad Kirevu who was Imam of Masjid Jamia Gangu and a resident of Gangu B in Busabala-Makindye Ssabagabo Division, Wakiso District, and was killed in Katereke-Nsangi in Kyengera Township on Thursday last week.   

Police said the deceased was killed by the joint counter terror task teams when he violently tried to resist arrest, forcing security to put him out of action.    

Police claimed that Kirevu was killed when its teams were trying to arrest him after getting information that he was recruiting people to join the Allied Democratic Forces-ADF, a rebel movement based in the Democratic Republic of Congo which has been accused of being behind the recent spate of bombings in Kampala.

But after his killing, six of his family members including children and their mothers were taken the next day after a house search that was conducted by the same joint counter terror security officers in Gangu and Nsangi.

According to the family, only three children were brought back on the same evening, according to the family.   

Ibrahim Abas Ayubu Kirevu a brother to the deceased told our reporter that three family members who still in hands of unknown security agency are two wives of the deceased – Amina Nabadda and Sofia Nakacwa plus Mariam Najjuko, a sister in law to the family who had visited them two days before the raids.    

He is appealing to security agencies to release them or produce in courts of law other than being held incommunicado. 

During his address to the nation over the weekend, President Museveni revealed that Sheikh Kirevu was part of 12 ADF terror members who has been killed since the June 1st attack on works and transport Minister Gen. Edward Katumba Wamala an incident that left his daughter Brenda Nantongo and his driver Sgt Haruna Kayondo dead.            

Our efforts to get a comment from Uganda Police Force on the whereabouts of the said three suspects and their charges was futile, after unanswered repeated calls to the police spokesperson Fred Enanga.